How long does pasty butt forming happen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcited2, Jun 4, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I've had the chicks since Thursday evening (hatchery mailed them Tuesday, postal service bounced the box of them all over the US) and I know they had plenty of stress during shipping/travel.

I took care of pasty butt twice yesterday and have done it once today so far. How long before it will start clearing up? I have warm water for their drinking water, room temp and no colder than that (room temp is 78, temp over the chicks is 95-98, but they have lots of space to move from the heat if they want) and the electrolyte solution that I ordered from the hatchery is in their drinking water. Medicated chick starter feed is in there, as much as they want.

They are on pine shavings for bedding. I change their water several times a day and check food.

For heat I am using the red heat bulb that is supposed to be used for chicks, with the standard poultry reflector to put the bulb into.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    well you are doing everything right, red bulb to prevent feather pecking, the bedding and watching them...sounds right. I add water to my starter...they LOVE it, even now at over 8 weeks..they gobble it up like crazy!

Just keep watching, and within a week or so you shouldn't notice any pasty butt, that is my experience at least...maybe someone else has had other experiences you may benefit from.

But just keep watching and cleaning it off...they will settle down...post pics!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I had one chick have it for a day, one chick had it for a week, and my bantam had it two weeks. It depends on the chick. I cut the fluff off their rear ends vs using oil. I tried the oil, but it stressed them out even more.

4. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've cleaned them off and used a q tip with olive oil, didn't bother my chicks a bit and never had pasty but from any treated chick again. I think you just use what works best for you, everyone has a method that works for them, you just need to try them and see which works for you. Enjoy those fuzzy butts, they grow fast. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by