How long does pasty butt usually last in chicks?

uncertainty

Songster
8 Years
Oct 18, 2015
Great White North
Hello; I received my first flock of 25 day olds 2 days ago. I am seeing some pasty butt, which I am loosening with warm water and applying some vaseline. 1) Is there an additive I should add to their water to reduce frequency; 2) how long does this condition usually persist in chicks? Otherwise all seem well and active. Thx for your advice.

What is the temperature in your brooder? They should be able to tolerate 70-75 degrees F at their age. Too much heat can cause dehydration, and that can cause constipation or pasty butt. Make sure they are drinking plenty of fluids, and give some probiotics or a little plain yogurt in their feed a few times a week. Normally pasty butt in chicks is gone by 10 days in chicks that I have received in the mail.

Thanks for your advice. I didn't write my query clearly, sorry; the chicks are only 4 days old now. It has been quite cold here this week - frost on the ground every night. I have the chicks under a red heat lamp and I have supplementary heat going in the coop. They are not clustered tightly under the heat lamp although they aren't straying too far. I think they are a little cooler than preferred but all have survived (so far) and seem to be active and are eating/drinking well. I washed a couple of bums this morning. My observation is frequency and severity seems to be declining, which is a positive sign. Your advice about adding probiotics to their water - an active culture yoghurt from the grocery aisle is ok? Thanks for the helping hand to a newbie, it is a pretty steep learning curve.

I didn't read well enough, LOL. If you can put a cheap thermometer on the floor under the hottest spot to keep the temp around 90 F, that can help. I think chilling can also add to pasting up. A dot of olive oil on the vent opening may help a little. Yes plain yogurt cultures are good for probiotics, not the sweetened ones. I've had shipped chicks a few times, and mine are usually through the pasty butt within 7-10 days at most.

The weather report calls for a warming trend starting today. I am hopeful this will ease the pasting. I will try the yoghurt though - can't hurt, right? It is very generous of you to share your expertise; this is such a nice on-line community. Thx.

The chicks are 8 days old today; pleased to report I haven't washed a bum for 2 days. Upping the temperature in the brooder + warmer weather seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the helping hand.

Well, it looks like everything is taken care of, but if anything acts up again, Molasses acts as a laxative and thins their poop so it does not paste. Just stir a little in their water. It worked for my babies.

Back
Top Bottom