How long does run netting last? Also how far part to place supports?

Artichoke Lover

Free Ranging
Jul 27, 2020
Southeast US
We will be building a new run soon and my dad who is building it was appalled by the fact that the chickens would fly over a 5 foot fence 🤦‍♀️ So I will be ordering netting but I was wondering how long it can be expected to last before it needs replacing. I will probably be the using cheap stuff.

Some of my chickens can fly over their 6 foot fence with one wing clipped. They are nuts.
I bought 8 foot Tenex deer netting for my run and it's very floppy. I can get away with supports every 8 feet if I tighten the top.

Some of my chickens can fly over their 6 foot fence with one wing clipped. They are nuts.
I bought 8 foot Tenex deer netting for my run and it's very floppy. I can get away with supports every 8 feet if I tighten the top.
Yeah. They fly up on his shoulders and all the time and he’s almost 6ft. Had one RIR clear a low hanging power line last year. About 15ft it took a lot of motivation but those suckers can fly when they want too!

Not sure about the longevity of "cheap stuff" but more expensive UV treated netting is supposed to last at least 7-10 years, with the seller I bought from saying they've seen it go 20+ years. So depending on what cheap netting you get, and the specifics of your environment/location, probably up to 7 years I guess?

Not sure about the longevity of "cheap stuff" but more expensive UV treated netting is supposed to last at least 7-10 years, with the seller I bought from saying they've seen it go 20+ years. So depending on what cheap netting you get, and the specifics of your environment/location, probably up to 7 years I guess?
It depends upon the manufacturer and materials used. UV resistant plastics usually last between 5-10yrs. Netting baked in Florida sun vs that in partially shaded VA can be expected to have different longevity.
As for support, do you mind some sag or do you want it taught? It will not support any significant loads. If heavy snow, wet leaves etc. are expected closer supports will be required. If not, greater support spacing may be sufficient. In any case, i would not span greater than 8-10ft.

my cheapest netting lasted a week. I think it was 21 gauge.
But I have found some surprisingly good cheap netting from a local supplier that is coated in a plastic coating to make it very durable.

I am in the process of weatherproofing some 12 gage fencing that I am expecting should last 10 years minimum with my treatment. It was quite a bit more expensive than the cheap rubbish but that just ended up being a waste of money making me have to buy twice and just pushing my overall cost up. A few mistakes you can live with but avoid having to buy things twice.

If you are planning to keep chickens for the next 10 years then get the fence from a fencing supplier, ideally get it coated in pvc if you can. It gets really confusing picking the right fencing, the hole spacing can make things exponentially more expensive , the wire thickness, fence height. It can be hard to pick but in my experience the pvc coated is a really economical option that adds strength and protection. Treating it yourself usually works out more expensive so consider the coated fence over uncoated (even galvanised tends to rust in the welds and if the welds fail the fence fails).

It might be different area to area but pvc seems to not be too expensive for manufacturers and should make any fence last a few years more which is worth the price.

The cheap chicken wire will lose all its strength after 1-2 years. Not only will that work out 5 times more expensive over a 10 year period to replace it but replacing it is hard work. Work is not free. If you can just set up the fence once and make it last that works out the least hassle. A stronger fence looks better too.
Yes fence cost an arm and a leg so shop about but get something that is long lasting. It might be 50% more expensive but if it lasts then it will work out cheaper.

Stronger fencing is easier to fix in place too. It's frustrating how expensive it is, epecially since one always ends up needed a bit more than one thinks but it will not work out to find a way round it.

I have used some pallets in places to save on fencing but I would not recommend the cheap stuff. Worst case senario it will last a week like mine did.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom