How long does shipping from Ideal take to North Texas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clkingtx, Jan 2, 2010.

1. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    I had posted earlier for ideas to house my soon to arrive poultry, thanks everyone, I think I have it figured out.

Now my concern is on the timing. I ordered from Ideal, and my birds are supposed to ship out on the 13th. From what I can tell, they are in south texas. We are in North Texas, so I am guessing they will arrive here on the 14th? Does anyone who lives in North Tx have any input? My possible problem is that the 13th is a Wednesday, which would be really bad if they came right when we had to leave for church, or while we were gone. I guess what I want to know, is if it is likely that they will arrive on the 13th, or will it probably be the 14th?

thanks,
    Carrie

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Should be overnight. Ideal is located in Cameron TX, which is in the Austin area I believe. If you're so inclined, they do allow you to pick up from their facility. Should be only a few hours drive, and much safer than shipping.

3. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    Thanks, I had noticed that they allow pickup, but even though they are closer than I thought, five hours one way is too long a drive for me. Overnight would be great(hopefully they will make it ok), because that would put them here on the 14th, which is Thursday, and I will be free(ish) all day.

Thanks again,
    Carrie

4. Poulets De Cajun

Just for info... Most hatcheries ship overnight, including McMurray which is in MO I believe. Of course that is always subject to the USPS rules, regulations, and accidents.

5. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    Ok, so then when they say they ship on the 13th, they will probably arrive on the 14th, right?

thanks a lot,
    Carrie

6. Poulets De Cajun

Yup! And there is another tip. You can request that they put "HOLD AT POST OFFICE AND CALL" and make sure your phone number is on the box. I dont know what part of North Texas you are in, but I usually go and pick them up at the main post office, which is the Jack D Watson location in Fort Worth. Its off of Meacham/35W.

7. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    Ok, thanks. I will have to look into that.

Carrie

8. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I'm in North Texas and mine always arrive from Ideal the very next morning. My post office always holds and calls, but I let them know when I am expecting chicks and make sure they have my cell phone number.

9. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    Ok, that's good to know. Since they will be shipping them on the 13th, I will expect them bright and early on the 14th. Can't wait!

Going out to price supplies now [​IMG]

thanks,

Carrie

10. MurrayCove

MurrayCove Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    I live in SW Arkansas. My chicks shipped from Idea on Dec. 28, but did not arrive to my small PO until the morning of the 30th...they were in a little after 7am. When I lived in Southern Georgia, they always arrived in one day, but a much larger post office and city. It was very cold, but all were fine when they arrived. Cute too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by