How long does starter feed last once opened?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hubby is going to fleet farm today to buy more bedding and starter feed. Right now we are buying 2 five pound bags of feed. I have 5 chicks that are 4.5, 3.5, and 1 week old and the 10 pounds of feed is lasting us 2 weeks. I told Hubby to buy the 50 pound bag, but he says he isn't sure if it will last and is worried that it will spoil.

How long does the feed last once opened? I keep it in the house. I was thinking of getting a plastic container like we have for our dog food. The chicks are getting bigger and I've noticed that two of them are eating a lot more. For their treats I wet the starter and have them eat out of my hand. I don't feed them anything else at this time.

I'm not sure how fast we will go through the feed now that I added chicks and they are getting older. Fleet farm is 30 miles from our house, so he doesn't get there too often.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a dry product and as such, it should last a considerable amount of time. We're gone through about half a 50 pound bag with our 12 chicks.

If you remain concerned with issues such as seed moths (that can get into products such as these)...and you have a freezer, you can always do things like shift the product into empty coffee cans (if you have these) and place them in the freezer, then pull out a can as needed.

We used to do that with our seed and eggfood for the gouldian finches were were raising.

Gail

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Thank you! Yes, we have a big chest freezer. I happen to have some empty cans as well. We do plan on keeping the feed in the house, I'm sure it will keep better that way. I was just worried about it spoiling like dog or cat food getting rancid after a period of time.

Good, I'll have him pick up the 50 pound bag. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by