1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does the average chicken live?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Maryallison77, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hello everyone! I am new here and I am proud to be here! I have about 20 chickens in the coop and the oldest are just 2 1/2 months old. How long under good conditions can my new friends the chickens live? I have a variety of chickens out there including Bantams, Cochins & Silkies.

Thanks, MARY [​IMG]

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Chickens can live for many(16+) years, but the average would be less than a year since most are slaughtered at 2 months or less, and layers are replaced after 1 year.

3. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Just want to add Welcome to the forum.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Welcome to BYC. bantymum has a pet hen that is 17 years old. [​IMG]

5. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    My grandfather had some that were 16 and 17 years old. They were still alive when he passed away and we gave them all away. Don't know if any are still around or not, that was in 2003.

6. Donza

Donza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    SW Ranches FL (SE FL)
    Hi All
    Wow 16 or 17 that's amazing. My country vet's standard answer to that question is "till the dawgs git 'em" which as long as you can forgive his special sense of humor is kind of accurate because that usually is the cause of most chickens' demise.

I had a very cool little girl who lived in my house, coming in to roost at night thru the kitty door. She did tricks and came to her name and watched TV on our laps - she died a pretty natural death at 8 years and I thought that was a really long time.

Bottom line is that the ones we love don't live long enough and the ones we could do without seem to live forever.

:~D

7. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Welcome. Would love to see some pictures of your flock.
    Anne

8. Maryallison77

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hi there! Me Mary again. I am very excited to hear that my chicken could really live that long! Wondering why laying hens only lay for 1 year though??? Is that true?

MARY

9. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:They will continue to lay, but production egg farms only want them through thier most productive years, so once the egg count drops, the chicken goes, NO EGG/ NO FEED, its cheaper to replace than to feed one that ONLY gives you 3/4 a week instead of 6/7 a week.

Yours will probably last a lot longer, but then again yours will probably see grass/daylight/have room to move, etc..... you know all the things a chicken should see and get to do. But then again your not betting your livelyhood on a chicken laying enough eggs.

10. Maryallison77

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Oh good! I was getting worried that after the 1st year they would just stop laying!

Thanks for all the info! [​IMG]

MARY [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by