How long does the pecking order take?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Dec 3, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    We got a new hen 2 weeks ago, and they are still pecking eachothers combs and chasing eachother around the yard... so what is the max of how long it takes a chicken to get the pecking order settled? Is there a possiblilty they will never get along?

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    thats not even bad compared to me ive had this chicken since june and she is still getting bullied by the rooster

3. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:We don't have a rooster, just 2 disabled hens and the new hen. One has a broken foot, who is dominant over the new hen, and the other is semi-blind and is being pecked on by the new hen.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    how many hens do you have in total? It's recommended to never add a single bird as they will have all the focus on them, as an intruder.
    That said, it can take months for it to settle down completely. And then it can start up again as some birds get older or younger birds start to feel they should be higher in the order. Honestly, I have 6 young birds, raised their whole lives together and they are in a constant spat for order right now. Of course, they are teenagers so it will be a while before they calm down.

5. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    is the problem just between them 3?

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:ok, the new hen might never accept the blind hen. Any weakness is a big no-no in the animal world. It is natural instinct to drive away or kill a weaker animal that could attract predators to the flock.

7. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Pecking order is an ongoing thing within any flock. There is no "finished" in pecking order. Now that's out of the way,most flocks settle in after a few weeks, but there are always changes going on as hens try to move up in order,others get sick or weak....you get the idea.

8. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:3 in total. The new hen was being bullied at her last home, and now she is the bullier at our home!
    We'll just see how it goes I guess.

9. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    meby try re introducing her to the other two?

10. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:? How would I do that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by