1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does the swelling last? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iLikeMineFried, Dec 15, 2016.

1. iLikeMineFried

iLikeMineFried Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    My roo, Cuddles, is not enjoying his first winter in the frigid temps (-15) of Northern Wisconsin. Despite slathering his adornments with vaseline, he has what I would presume to be frostbite. My birds drink from a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples, so he hasn't been dunking them in the water. I have ventilation in my coop, but am now questioning the adequacy of it. My other roo is a black australorp, and only the tips of his comb have gone black. I have moved him to our basement in an extra large parrot cage and provided food and water. I have not handled his swollen bits because they seem quite tender. How long will it take for the swelling to come down so he can return to his ladies outside? Is there anything else I need to do for him in the meantime? This is my first flock, and first winter, so be gentle on me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. microchick

microchick Chillin' With My Peeps

OUCH! Poor boy. Been there done that. I had two roosters suffer from frost bite last year. Yes, it's a matter of ventilation vs humidity when all is said and done. Is he the only victim? When I saw mine I just shook my head and said "all the other chickens had the common sense to stick their heads under their wings. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"

The swelling is due to inflammation from the frostbite.It should go down in a few days. The black on his wattles will dry and fall off. Just watch him for signs of infection. Mother nature has a way of dubbing those long wattles for you. In the mean time,I highly recommend the articles on BYC about ventilation in a coop and hope you get a chance to look them over and reevaluate your own coop set up.

Don't worry, Cuddles will survive this. My rooster's wattles were so frozen last winter that the poor boy sounded like a couple of castanets when he walked around.

3. iLikeMineFried

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thank you for the reassurance! We will be adding more ventilation when it warms up a little. I'm not freezing my butt off in single digit weather while holding a saws all above my head.

4. iLikeMineFried

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    Cuddles did well overnight and woke us all up at 6am with his crowing. I was going to put him back outside after applying Vaseline, but in the process of applying it, his wattle started to bleed pretty heavily. The bleeding has stopped, but now there is clear fluid dropping out. It's that ok/normal? How can I tell if there is infection?

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by