Apr 16, 2020
1 of my eggs finally hatched last night at 4:29am! I’ve aulready organised to pick up 2 or 3 chicks to keep it company tomorrow but for now it’s in the incubator. It’s considerably dried out and wings and chest are completely dry and fluffed up. Back and head are still a bit wet, how long do you think it will take for them to dry? Should i be worried? Sorry, i’m just new to hatching and it’s my first time! I really want him to do well.

You only hatched one egg total? Or are more still going to hatch?
To be completely dry and fluffy I want to say it takes a few hours, but my experience has been closer to 24 hrs.

You only hatched one egg total? Or are more still going to hatch?
To be completely dry and fluffy I want to say it takes a few hours, but my experience has been closer to 24 hrs.
Yes, we had 12 fertile eggs but the mother hen attacked them. The rest were cracked.

Chicks absorb the last of the yolk just before they hatch so it'll be fine for at least 24 hours. By then you'll see a fluffy, fully dry chick.
As for the reason you should or shouldn't adjust humidity...I'm guessing there are more eggs to hatch and that's why it was suggested to leave things alone.

Chicks absorb the last of the yolk just before they hatch so it'll be fine for at least 24 hours. By then you'll see a fluffy, fully dry chick.
As for the reason you should or shouldn't adjust humidity...I'm guessing there are more eggs to hatch and that's why it was suggested to leave things alone.
There’s 3 other eggs in there but not doing much, they got soiled when the other eggs were broken by mother hen. We’ve bought some chicks and are collecting them tomorrow ready for when the other goes into the brooder.

And yes we wanted to leave lid shut just in case.

There’s 3 other eggs in there but not doing much, they got soiled when the other eggs were broken by mother hen. We’ve bought some chicks and are collecting them tomorrow ready for when the other goes into the brooder.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the remaining eggs! You never know :)

Back
Top Bottom