how long for chicks to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickalick, Jun 7, 2011.

1. chickalick

chickalick Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    how long would it take for the eggs to hatch i have candled the eggs but i can only see a dark patch in the middle of the egg and a big airpocket the eggs dont smell are they ok does anyone know

2. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    21days

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Without being there to look at them. No no one knows. Ducks 28 days generally chickens 23 days. They can hatch a bit early or late depends on the eggs.

4. Helen29

Helen29 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    Around 21-23 days, mine looked just like you describe in the last week before hatching. They look black as there is not as much room in there for light to pass through the egg. The need the air pocket to breathe when they start to hatch. If the are ready to hatch you shouldn't be candling them they should be in lock down from three days before due date (no turning or opening incubator) this is important to keep the air moist and prevent them from drying out when hatching.
    Hope this helps, would love to see pics when they hatch x

5. chickalick

chickalick Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Quote:thanks a lot for the info i feel a lot more confident now i will put some picks on they are all orpingtons my first hatch thanks again

6. Helen29

Helen29 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Rochford
    I bet you are very excited, I was, I couldn't stop looking at them!! Good luck x

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck and have fun!!! [​IMG]

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by