How long for comb to heal?

Shezadandy

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 26, 2015
Portland OR
One of our Buff Orpingtons came up with a comb injury (all pullets, all 20 weeks), not a terrible one- it's the very tip of the top point on her comb. Prior to Blue Koting the area, the tip was dark and I suspect it will fall off, but I didn't want to provoke any more bleeding. She was shaking her head but we didn't see any other apparent injuries.

Unfortunately my camera's SD card is picking right now to refuse to upload a picture.

We put some Blue Kote on the affected part with a very small syringe but the others immediately surrounded her and started pecking it, Blue Kote and all.

She's currently separated in a big dog crate within the main enclosure with food and water.

How long does it take for a comb injury to heal?
And is there anything other than a good rinse/Blue Kote that we should do to help her?

If it's really just the very tip of one point it should heal up pretty quick (meaning within days), especially as she is separated to prevent picking. You may even be able to try letting her back out after a few hours to see if the brief interruption of their focus has redirected them from the fact that there was something to pick at.

Thank you! Maybe I'll try around treat time when the focus is chasing grapes and we're close to dusk. She seems to be taking the confinement very well with her own slice of pumpkin and everyone visiting the front of the cage. Happily she's easy to catch and handle so if it doesn't work out putting her right back to safety should be easy.

I appreciate your time and answer!

Finally pictures- SD card finally worked.

She was kept in the crate until dusk which is treat time and nobody mobbed her like they had earlier, so she was with the flock last night. This morning the tip appears to have either fallen off or been picked off (inevitable however it happened). She's confined for the day today as of first thing this AM because she was shaking her head and I noticed her warding off pecks with a scoot and a squeak which seemed like it would end badly at some point with fully awake flockmates. There doesn't seem to be any fresh blood, though it's probably still sore- will probably repeat the overnight release assuming no big happenings.

Yesterday:

Today:

Back
Top Bottom