How long for Corid to work? Coccidia or ?

skylarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Buckley, WA
I have a pullet I suspect has coccidia. She is 15 weeks old all huddled up and lethargic. She is getting thin. She is on day 2 of Corid. How long will the Corid take to work before I start looking into something else? No blood in her stool. She has diarrhea in the morning but it thickens during the day. She is rapidly loosing weight. I wormed her as well. She eats some, but not eagerly. She is drinking okay. She chirps and preens herself but you can tell she is off. She is thinner and thinner by the day. I dont want to cull her until I give her a shot. She has no respiratory sounds, but you can hear a gurgling in her belly. Thanks!

Last edited:
If its Coccidiosis, you should see improvement by the third or fourth day. Just to be sure that your are giving her enough Corid, what dosage are you using?

Improvement (in my experience) is usually seen after 2-3 days of treatment. Continue treating for 5-7 days, unless there is no improvement--in that case, it probably isn't Coccidiosis.

What is her crop like? Check it in the morning, it should be empty/flat. And what wormer did you use? I'd check her for mites/lice, as they can cause lethargy and weakness.

Thanks! No mites or lice. I wormed her with Drontal (since I had it on hand and it gets almost all worms). Ive never wormed a chicken with it, but dosed it to instructions that I could find. Ive never seen worm in her stool, but i know that isnt an indicator. If its not coccidia or worms, I am leaning towards kidney issues. She was vaccinated for mareks and shows no neurological signs, but the thought of it is always looming over head. I would think that after a week of showing symptoms if it was mareks, she would be dead by now. But Ive never dealt with it so who knows. Ive never had a chicken who makes these gurgling gut noises. Its odd. She wouldnt lay down either which made me think her belly bothered her in some way. Just last light I caught her sitting and sleeping for the first time in days. But she is SUPER thin. Her comb and wattles are pale and she is dehydrated looking even though she is drinking. She will eat, but not eagerly although if a sprinkle five way in her food she actively goes for it. She wont eat anything else. my coop is cleaned daily and daily and she free ranges during the day. Thanks!!

If she's not drinking enough Corid water you could try giving her undiluted Corid orally. I think the dose for chickens (20mg/kg) is twice what it is for cattle (10mg/kg).

-Kathy

Thanks everyone! I made the call this morning after zero improvement. I performed a necropsy on her. The first thing I noticed (besides just HOW thin she was) was there seemed to be more free fluid than normal floating around. I thought for sure I was going to see tumors everywhere (always my biggest fear). Luckily I didn't see any. The blood vessels around her colon did seem a bit more swelled than normal, but found no blood inside. No sight of parasites. My most remarkable finding was her heart seemed small and almost gooey on top. Her lungs were enlarged as well. The gurgling noise I was hearing I believe was the fluid just floating around in there. I am no expert, but my best guess is heart failure. It could describe all my findings and her symptoms. In retrospect I will I would have had the state lab do this one so I knew for sure. I just have to look at every death as an opportunity to learn I guess. Than you all for your help. she may or may not have had coccidia, but your help will allow me to help the flock in the future!

Back
Top Bottom