How long for eggs after 1st breeding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cloverleaf Farm, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Ok, the title pretty much asks the question, but I just saw my roo mating 2 of my pullets, and I'm wondering, in all the infinite expreience on this board, how long until the start laying from when they first start getting mated? They are 17 weeks now, and combs are really red... thanks!!

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I don't know, but just to clarify, are you asking how long does it take after they mate for the fertilized egg comes out?

3. briteday

briteday Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Pullets will ovulate (lay an egg) every 24-26 hours whether there is a rooster or not. So your pullets will lay eggs no matter whether the rooster has mated them or not...the rooster is not part of the egg laying equation. Your pullets will start laying eggs when they are ready, each is individual, no telling when.

When will they be fertile? That one I don't know. I do know that we have a young rooster (16 weeks old) and within a week of him starting to crow I got fertile eggs from my older hens. He is the only rooster in the run.

I'm sure someone with more experience will know how long it takes a hen to lay fertile eggs once they have been mated with a rooster.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    thanks for your responses, but no, that's not what I mean...I mean that they haven't started to lay at all yet, and I am assuming that them getting mated means that they are really close to ovulation...I am wondering if anyone's noticed in the past, how long it was between when the roos started mating the pullets before they laid their first egg...

Thanks!!! [​IMG]

5. emit

emit In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV
    Mine are not laying yet an I seen what love my chickies seen. Dose this mean that they will start laying now or what? [​IMG]

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Songster

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Love my chickies!! :

thanks for your responses, but no, that's not what I mean...I mean that they haven't started to lay at all yet, and I am assuming that them getting mated means that they are really close to ovulation...I am wondering if anyone's noticed in the past, how long it was between when the roos started mating the pullets before they laid their first egg...

Thanks!!! [​IMG]

A roo breeding with a hen does not start ovulation. A pullet will begin to lay at about 6 months of age, some faster some slower.

You didnt state how old your roo is. If he has been breeding before, then he is just doing his job. It has nothing to do with the pullets laying eggs.​

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    He's only about 20 weeks...maybe he's just "practicing"! haa haa

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Songster

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Love my chickies!! :

He's only about 20 weeks...maybe he's just "practicing"! haa haa

I'd say you have the right idea [​IMG]