How long for eggs to hatch? How long after do I wait before taking away unhatched?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by katlovesaandw, Aug 7, 2013.

1. katlovesaandw

katlovesaandw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Ok, this is our 1st time for doing this.
    We put 6 fertilized or we hope fertilized eggs under our broody duck.
    1 got broke, so we have 5 left.
    They were laid on 19th and 20th of July, which means day 21 is tomorrow, Aug. 8 for 2 of them and Friday, Aug. 9 for the other 3.
    They are 1/2 EE eggs, unsure of what Dad is as they had 3 roos there.
    We candled them at 1 week and all were viable, deep veining, etc.

We are pulling chicks to put in a brooder as soon as they hatch to be raised by us.

I assume anytime between now and Sunday for hatching?
    How long do I wait AFTER before pulling any non-hatched eggs? I don't want them to rot, etc. but don't want to pull eggs too soon.
    Can I pull the chicks as they hatch?

Any and all input would be welcome!!!!
    Very nervous as this is a new one for us!

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    i would never take a mommies chicks. she sits on eggs day and night not to have them taken but raised herself.

3. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Well, they are chicken eggs under our Muscovy duck.
    And after posting on here and general consensus was there could be issues, plus our goats, chickens and ducks share a giant pen. They may or may not be safe.
    So, we decided it would be easier to pull them and raise in a brooder.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I wouldn't go past 3 days beyond hatch date. Personal preference, no particular reason... if your brooder is ready, you can pull them as soon as they hatch if you feel they'll be unsafe with the duck. Animals are not like people. "Mommy" animals may notice when their babies get taken, but they will not "grieve" for them. Animals do not have the same feelings and emotions as people. She may look for them for a day or so, but she will get over it. I honestly don't believe that a chicken or duck sits on a nest thinking, "In 21 days I'll have babies." They sit because instinct dictates them to do so, just as instinct is how they "know" to take care of them when they hatch.

5. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks!
    I feel the same way, I am sure she will be like WHAT? for a day or so but then hopefully get over her broody and get back to eating and socializing.
    Yes, as a Mama...I feel slightly bad about pulling them BUT.....she will get over it easier than I would if something tragic happened to one of the babies.
    I would rather pull the babies and raise them, than to know one of them got hurt or worse because of the goats or the duck mama or others.
    IF we had a safe area to put her and babies, I would. We don't unless we take goats out of their house and house them in with chickens.
    Now, they share a giant pen but they each have an area. And since we have worked hard to teach goats to go in THEIR home and that they are not chickens and will eventually NOT fit in the chicken house.....I would rather NOT take a step back.
    We have the brooder almost ready. Finishing it tonight. We have everything, just need to assemble.
    We are waiting to see if all or any actually hatch.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like you have a good plan. We humans tend to run into trouble sometimes when we attach human emotions and feelings to our animals.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've just waited until my hens leave the nest to pull unhatched eggs. I guess it would be the same here? Momma usually knows when things are done.

You could pull them as they hatch, I don't see a problem with that.

I've tried chicken eggs under a duck once. Due to circumstances, I wasn't home when the hatched or the next day, and the duck had been setting in a relatively unprotected flowerbed. When I got home I had two chicks in the nest, the momma duck was in the pond and wouldn't look twice at those babies, and the cats were VERY interested in those chicks!

8. mattndi527

mattndi527 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    I just had two chicks hatch from my Cochin hen two days ago. Mama hen immediately abandoned the nest to care for the two. After a day, I pulled the leftover eggs because they were cold and she clearly wasn't coming back. I placed the eggs in a bucket to dispose of. Today, the eggs are still in the bucket and I just happened to hear a chick. I went to investigate and holy cow, there is one hatching! What now? Should I put all the eggs back in the nest? Will she care for this one?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by