How long for her to start laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 16, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    - Two Silky hens
    - 1 homemade incubator
    - 8 eggs in total (so I assume 4 each) laying in one nest...
    - I collected them to put in bator...1 hen went super broody on me and I figured she would just lay more
    - she hasn't laid in 2 days....

when will she start laying again...I was wanting to do some eggs in the bator and some under her.

*shrug*

2. tofumama

tofumama Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she still broody? I find especially with my silkie, I have to *break* her of her broodiness. Ususally what I do is put her in a rabbit hutch with food and water for a few days. The cage bottom lets lots of air get to her underside, triggering her to stop being broody. Not sure why it works but it does. Someone here told me to do it and I do it with anyone who gets broody. After that, its maybe a few days and then she starts laying again. Course, my silkie is not the most reliable layer...

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    She finally came off the empty nest last night.

I didn't know how long she would go without laying, there has been no eggs from either hen in two days...but I just went to check on my birds and there was an egg in the nest...so hopefully one of them will go broody again.

I am trying to hatch 3 chicks for my daughters and another woman is looking for 3 white silky chicks to buy. I only got 8 eggs out of them, so I am hoping for at least 6, and was hoping the hen would sit on some in case my bator didn't work.

lots of fun trying to figure this all out [​IMG]

thanks for your response...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by