How long for lights to regulate laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KYBOY, Jan 19, 2009.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I let my hens take a break for most of this winter..Well I put a light in both houses about 9 days ago..Production has raised a noticeable ammount but isnt anywhere near normal production. In fact its about half. Most of last summer and fall I got 15-18 eggs a day from those same 19 hens..They are getting around 14 hours of light a day..Feeding the same feed..
    Now I dont expect the lights to regulate the laying in 9 days but about how long do you think it will take??

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Not sure how long it will take but I provide 16 hrs of light.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I added 4 hours extra of light for about a week and finally got one of the girls to lay. Since I don't have electric out to the duck pen, I just use the light from hubby's Ryobi tool set...
    [​IMG]
    I recharge the battery during the day and place the light in their hutch at night. It fades out after about 4 hours.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Mine took about two weeks to start laying again. They've been laying for a month or more now and I'm starting to improve by the day now. A lot of it is the season, but just keep it up and they will do better. Half eggs is better than NO eggs.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The quoted average needed for most hens is 14hrs. Most of mine are pretty happy with 12 and started laying within a week with nearly all laying after 2 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  6. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I wonder if its because my chickens can still see its dark outside,LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by