How Long for New Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sweetshoplady, Feb 9, 2009.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I have a blue wheaten ameracauna roo that I want to put in with my EEs til I can find him some blue wheaten ameracauna hens (please don't say ameracauna.org been there, asked everyone)

At anyrate, my question is, how long before it will be his babies and not the light brahma roo's babies.

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    20-30 days

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    In about a week you will be getting chicks from the new male, The fresher sperm most often wins out over the already weakend sperm from the previous male...

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Generally speaking, you can be certain that the eggs from hens that have been without that first male for 3 weeks, will start producing eggs that will have the genetics from the second male.

That's just a general thing though and that's only when you want to be "sure".

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    From my experience last year and so far this year with RI White females, within a week of putting Red males with these hens the chicks were comming sex linked, This was done on 40 hens..

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    That's good for your flock Pine Grove. Apparently my males wish to keep their genes in their hens as long as possible.

I had a hen that was not with a male. I put her into a coop with a Light Brahma to get eggs. I then placed her in a pen with a RIR. For 2 weeks I gathered the eggs from each pen. I never got a single RIR x Buff Orp cross the entire time... I was TICKED.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by