1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOw long for PLUCKED tail feathers to re grow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Seems I have a hen who is overly fond of tail feathers and plucks them from her coop mates. She however has a tail [​IMG]
    Im keeping my new birds away from her as they all have really nice tail feathers. Will they grow back ? [​IMG]

Oh AND she eats them...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They will definitely grow back. (I would recommend the soup pot for the plucking hen!) If the shafts are still in, the feathers won't grow back until the next molt, but if the feather is totally gone, it will grow back sooner. I am not quite sure how long it will take, but it will be weeks. Some extra protein will help, because feathers are mostly made of protein. Some wet cat would provide extra protein, and chickens really like it.

3. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    so if they are 24 weeks old, they wont get them back till after next years molt... right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by