How long for the Hens take to start getting along?

put148

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
I just got 4 hens and a rooster today. Three of the Hens and the Rooster are Ameraucana's and the other Hen is a Wyandotte. The Wyandotte is a little agressive towards the others but the others have lived together since being hatched. Out in the run they seem to do alright with each other maybe a little picking but when in the coop they tend to get a bit agressive towards each other. I don't know if this is normal?, seems like it probably is but didn't know how long in general for them to come to peace with each other and is there anything else that should be done or just let them figure it out on there own.

It can take a couple of hours to a week to never for them to get along. You just have to let them take however much time they need to settle their order. If one of them starts to get bloodied then is the time to step in.

X2! If they are so rough there is blood, you need to step in and separate them for a bit, but hopefully still where they can see each other. Other than that, the more space that have to move around in, it seems the less squabbles there are. Also, provide some places where a more submissive hen can hide for a bit before trying to rejoin the group.

My hens were fine untill i got my first 2 Buff Opringtons in May, then the top hen was dethroned and its never been the same since. Alot of them have a deep hate for each other now, there isnt a top hen to keep them inline anymore, the old top hen was great at that! The two cockerels get along alot botter than the hens!

Thanks, I think that they are settling in better but may take a few days. When we came to lock them up tonight 3 of the ameraucana hens were on the left of the roost, the ameraucana rooster was in the middle about a foot away from the hens and on his right was the wyandotte hen by itself. But they seemed peaceful enough to be resting comfortably. Thanks for the info and help

Back
Top Bottom