How long from peep to pip is normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheHalfWayCoop, Dec 8, 2011.

1. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    First, hearing peeping from inside an egg is the most surreal thing I've ever heard! Second, I'm not worried yet, as I just heard them peeping and know they weren't peeping this morning, but how long is it safe for them to be in their egg peeping away with no external pips to allow more air in? Sounds like we have two live ones in the nest! The other three have large air cells while the two peepers were solid black before lock down, so I think the other three are quiters.

2. ncfarm2012

ncfarm2012 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Reidsiville, NC
    We gave ours abotu 12 hours then (with a flashlight to know they were full grown!) we helped them out! Some will never make it if you don't help them.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Don't get discouraged, it can be a day or two until it's out.
    Patience, grasshopper.

4. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] I don't believe in the whole "lock down" thing. If they are peeping away I just watch some take breaks but you can still see them making movements( ie breathing). I have had some take 24 hours or more but most give up before then. It is okay to help them out a little! It is better to help them and maybe they make it then to let them give up and not even leave the shell! I had to have several hatches under my belt before I felt comfortable with the whole thing. Don't give up on them yet!!

5. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    We had a pip, zip and a pop right out of peeping egg #1 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] A little yellow silkie that definitely looks better than the little silkie that hatched last week and passed away within 12 hours, so [​IMG] now we have two more peeping eggs to go!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by