How long from pip to hatch? Please help a novice!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenkerri, Dec 14, 2009.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have an egg in the bator right now who has been in the same position all day. It has made a very small hole and I hear it chirping every so often but the hole is not getting bigger...there is certainly no "zipping" going on. How long can it take from the first pip to a complete hatch?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

Kerri in NC

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    it can take 24 to 48 hrs. watch the humidity.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    24 hours, maybe a little more. Back away from the incubator, and don't open it! [​IMG] Happy hatching!

4. chickenkerri

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I'm really confused about the humidity thing. I've only hatched one other group of chicks with the same bator. I didn't read the directions all the way and NEVER added any water after the initial addition. All the chicks hatched except for two. Now that I know about the humidity issue, I'm totally paranoid about it. [​IMG]

5. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Oh man do I know that feeling! The more I learn the more terrified I get! I hope I have it right this time! [​IMG] Too bad I can't ask a broody how she does it, though she'd probably just say, "Now let me see to that egg, Honey, before you hurt yourself."

6. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    So, do you know what your humidity is at? Mine have pipped anywhere from 6 hours to 36 hours from hatching. It is nerve racking to wait but it is best to just wait.

7. chickenkerri

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It looks like it runs between 50-65.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by