How long from pip to hatch? Please help a novice!

chickenkerri

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Western North Carolina
I have an egg in the bator right now who has been in the same position all day. It has made a very small hole and I hear it chirping every so often but the hole is not getting bigger...there is certainly no "zipping" going on. How long can it take from the first pip to a complete hatch?

Thanks in advance!
idunno.gif

Kerri in NC

24 hours, maybe a little more. Back away from the incubator, and don't open it!
jumpy.gif
Happy hatching!

I'm really confused about the humidity thing. I've only hatched one other group of chicks with the same bator. I didn't read the directions all the way and NEVER added any water after the initial addition. All the chicks hatched except for two. Now that I know about the humidity issue, I'm totally paranoid about it.
barnie.gif

Oh man do I know that feeling! The more I learn the more terrified I get! I hope I have it right this time!
fl.gif
Too bad I can't ask a broody how she does it, though she'd probably just say, "Now let me see to that egg, Honey, before you hurt yourself."

So, do you know what your humidity is at? Mine have pipped anywhere from 6 hours to 36 hours from hatching. It is nerve racking to wait but it is best to just wait.

Back
Top Bottom