Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Iain Utah

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 17, 2011
Seems like a lot of people get goslings in the spring and by late summer are getting rid of them.... excuses like "too much work," "too much poop" and "not enough time". So it makes me curious, how long have you had your geese?

Sammy and one of his charges from this year.
love.gif

I got my first goose[gander] 5 yrs ago this past May, and I love him to pieces, he is something else and at times has been a challenge but I can't imagine ever giving him up. Now I just went today and got him a friend to grow old with a 4 month old Toulouse goose

Last edited:
We got our first 8 American Buff goslings last spring - and now we have 20 -- while I'll rehome some this fall and add some from different bloodlines, I think we'll always have geese . . . they fit in well with our rainy climate and prolific grass, but apart from that we enjoy their personalities so much . . .

Hi - we have 4 American Blues that are now 2 years old. And a trio of Pomeranians that are a little over a year old. One pair of the American Blues hatched 4 goslings last year and 3 this year. We had to put the pairs in separate quarters because the ganders fight allot. The trio seems to be a better situation, although from what I had read prior to getting the geese - we thought they would do well in pairs.

I purchased my original pair of Buff Saddleback Pomeranians last May and now have 14 of them from my pair and shipped eggs.

This spring, I also added a pair of standard gray Toulouse geese to my flock. I honestly can't imagine being without geese in the future. If it came down to it and I had to make a choice between all the poultry and fowl on the property the geese would win hands down. The goslings are the sweetest, most loving little creatures and the adults so full of personality.

I love watching my gaggle wandering around each day, especially if they decide to attempt to fly between ponds. My female Toulouse can actually get a couple of feet off the ground and fly a good distance while the rest run full speed behind her while flapping their wings furiously: I is quite the sight to behold!

Sammy and one of his charges from this year.
love.gif

I got my first goose[gander] 5 yrs ago this past May, and I love him to pieces, he is something else and at times has been a challenge but I can't imagine ever giving him up. Now I just went today and got him a friend to grow old with a 4 month old Toulouse goose

I am so happy your boy has a lady friend. May he fall desperately in love and the two of them create may beautiful goslings for you!

It's great to hear from all who have made long term commitments to your geese!! I recently celebrated my one year anniversary of owning geese... and have swelled from my original pair to 17+ geese since then. While I have my personal favorites, they are all considered members of our family.

I've been breeding geese for over 30 years. By far, the most common reason I've seen over the years for people deciding to give them up is simply because of their own ignorance. The number one rule in keeping any animal is to do your research in advance and educate yourself about what that species requirements are, it's needs and behavior. Time after time people refuse to do that, obtain an animal, treat it like a human or a species which they are familair with, which in most cases is only a dog or cat, and end up having a lot of problems. People's biggest concerns often seem to be what to name a goose, or what treats to give, when they should be learning how to properly care for these birds. In feeding their own emotions, they make pets out of geese, imprinting them to the point that the geese loose any respect for people, behaving towards us like they would other geese. When the first breeding season comes around, the males' testosterone levels increase, and the hens' protectiveness over their nests begins, the loss of respect turns into aggression. Most people then are devested that their beloved goslings could ever attack them or their children, and off the geese get shipped. If people would only be more sensible, they could enjoy these magnificent birds for years. Instead, most geese don't reach their second fall, for once they learn how to be aggressive, there are few people who will tolerate it. A lot of times I see people gloat, with a smug attitude that they have protected their children from attack by an aggressive animal. That's all well and good, but what they have also done is to set an example of irresponsible animal ownership backed up by ignorance.

I'm coming up to my 5th year for Geese. Still in love with them even after all of this time
love.gif

I've been breeding geese for over 30 years. By far, the most common reason I've seen over the years for people deciding to give them up is simply because of their own ignorance. The number one rule in keeping any animal is to do your research in advance and educate yourself about what that species requirements are, it's needs and behavior. Time after time people refuse to do that, obtain an animal, treat it like a human or a species which they are familair with, which in most cases is only a dog or cat, and end up having a lot of problems. People's biggest concerns often seem to be what to name a goose, or what treats to give, when they should be learning how to properly care for these birds. In feeding their own emotions, they make pets out of geese, imprinting them to the point that the geese loose any respect for people, behaving towards us like they would other geese. When the first breeding season comes around, the males' testosterone levels increase, and the hens' protectiveness over their nests begins, the loss of respect turns into aggression. Most people then are devested that their beloved goslings could ever attack them or their children, and off the geese get shipped. If people would only be more sensible, they could enjoy these magnificent birds for years. Instead, most geese don't reach their second fall, for once they learn how to be aggressive, there are few people who will tolerate it. A lot of times I see people gloat, with a smug attitude that they have protected their children from attack by an aggressive animal. That's all well and good, but what they have also done is to set an example of irresponsible animal ownership backed up by ignorance.

Really? I haven't nearly as much experience with geese as you have, but I have found the opposite to be true with the ones I have had. My first goose was a little gander I picked out of a lot at an auction and hand raised, he was my baby until the day he died. The only time he ever showed me any aggression at all was the first time we had goslings, he bit me once and I yelled, and he never did it again.

Back
Top Bottom