how long in a hens life do they lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by quintinp, Jun 16, 2011.

1. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    how many years do i have to expect them to stop laying, they are rhode island reds, and barred rocks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Eachy chicken is an individual and may be different, but if you have enough chickens for the averages to mean anything, the egg production will drop around 15% to 20% after each adult molt except the first adult molt. It does not necessarily stop completely, but it really cuts back after a very few years. After a few years egg quality can get worse too. If you are looking at when to cycle new ones in, the third year is usually a good choice, but if you want to keep them, you can still expect an egg, just a lot less.

Good luck!

3. sillysparrowness

sillysparrowness Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    My best egg layer ever managed to empty herself within 5 years. And those were 5 years of 5-7 eggs a week and hardly a molt break. (she was scary, that way!) I would give them 4 years at least. But then, I have them just for fun. So I couldn't really give advice to a commercial chickenholder. You sell the eggs?

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:naah, but i have some four year old rhode island reds, and it is really hot, around the mid 90's around southern oklahoma, and they aren't laying at all, i am not getting an egg a week from any of them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by