1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long in the bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlueBirdChick, Nov 17, 2010.

1. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    i have a chick thats about two hours old should I keep it in the incubator tell tomorrow????

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Is your hatch completed?
    If not

BACK AWAY FROM THE INCUBATOR!

The others need humidity. You will loose a lot when you open it up.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I agree, if your hatch is not complete do not open the incubator. A new chick can stay in the incubator for up to 48 hours with no food or water as they use what they have absorbed from the sack for food.

4. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    k [​IMG] ive got one more zipping ty everyone [​IMG]

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    For future reference, they can technically stay in the bator for up to 3 days from the time the first one hatches, but I don't recommend the third day in there. 2 is my maximum limit, because the sooner they get fresh food/water, the better they will be health wise from the start.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What Cindiloohoo said. Exactly.

7. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    But the question remains, how long do you leave a chick in the bator if he's the last 1? Does she need drying time and how long???

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I wait overnight for the last chick to fluff up if it was hatched in the afternoon. If it hatched in the morning before *I* got up, I take it out late that night. I want them to be able to stand up and run around so they're less likely to topple over in the brooder. Especially if the other chicks are running around like mad dervishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by