How long is an unrefrigerated egg good to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henny Loggins, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Henny Loggins

Henny Loggins Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    All the ladies were perched on roosts last night and I didn't have the time to collect the eggs from yesterday and didn't want to disturb the ladies. Are the eggs still good if they were left in the coop over night and I collected them in the morning? Is there a safe time line for eggs? Do tell!

Thanks,

Chicken Newbie.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:7 to 10 days under normal conditions, maybe 5 days if its really hot, say over 90.

3. Henny Loggins

Jun 1, 2011
    OH! Thank you. I was thinking if I didn't collect the egss every day that they wouldn't be good to eat by the next day. Thanks so much. [​IMG]

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I never refrigerate my eggs, they are on the counter all the time. I happily eat eggs 3-4 weeks old.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ditto.

6. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    In a lot of countries they don't refrigerate their eggs at all. I like mine refrigerated but I have eaten eggs in Guatemala that I have no idea how old they are. Everyone that I saw there leave their eggs out. They buy them in a large flat crate and leave them in it on the counter. They taste fine. In the market you see them standing in large high stacks on the floor. It is a big staple there for breakfast. Black beans,fried Platenos, scrambled eggs and cream and cheese for the beans.......yummm

7. Henny Loggins

Jun 1, 2011
    Well, this is all very good news. [​IMG]

8. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    no worries. i was raised in central illinois on farms by old aunts who'd laugh if you even thought about putting an egg in the fridge. old kelvinator refridgerators didnt have much room in em anyway [​IMG] eggs will last at least a coupla months on a counter in a cool kitchen.

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    They are not refrigerated in the stores here either, just stacked on shelves.

10. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    until it floats in water.

really that is how I test them if I am unsure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by