How long is breeding season?

sunbursts

Songster
Mar 10, 2019
Illinois
I have 3 bobwhite - 2 male, 1 female. The female chose a male and they are paired off in their own cage leaving my one male alone. We are getting 24 dozen eggs to hatch in a few weeks. We plan on keeping only females.

How long do I have to keep the males separate for the breeding season - is it til the fall?
Can I let the male quail live with the babies, or how soon can I introduce some of the new ones to him? I know he is quite lonely despite the holding time we do give him.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

The breeding season for Bobs ends around your first frost. Generally by October, those aggressive breeding hormones are gone. At that point, you can mix everybody together for the winter covey. Of course it helps to remember who bonded with whom because Bobs mate for life.

You can mix adults of either all hens or roos (no mated pairs during breeding season) with birds that are more than 3 months of age, once the young ones get their adult feathers at 12 weeks, you can usually safely mix them in. Make sure to mix them in slowly from behind a cage or wire for a few weeks so they get to know each other slowly, never just dump them in together as they can harm or hurt each other not being introduced slowly.

I have kept lone males with no mates near to mated pairs. Yes, they get frustrated but they won't die and will find some comfort in knowing there are other quail around. Any quail you hatch now will not be ready to mate or pick a mate until next spring, however once they are 3 months old, if you have enough room, you could potentially mix them in with this male provided he is not aggressive. I never had trouble mixing 3 months olds in with adult hens or males, but there is always the potential for a loose screw with Bobs.

Good luck! :)

Thank you TwoCrows....sounds like a plan! And fishkeeper that is what the plan is, we need to get him a girlfriend!

Back
Top Bottom