how long is chick starter good for?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Zoomom, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi,

I bought a bag of chick start and grow back in August for a few chicks and I was wondering if it would still be good or should I dump what's left and get fresh stuff for the new batch of 6 chicks I am hoping to hatch out in 2 weeks? I know it was fresh at the time...I am just not sure on the expiry date. Also, it was stored outside, so it was probably warm for a couple of months, then it was frozen. It isn't moldy and still is dry as it was in a closed protected bin in the shed.

Thanks for any advice.

Zoomom [​IMG]

2. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I don't know about August... That seems awfully long ago. Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens says that feed should be used within 4 weeks of being milled for optimal nutritional value. I've noticed that this book is always a bit conservative when giving numbers, but I think August is too far away. Maybe if it was frozen the whole time it would be better, but it started normal, then froze, then thawed again. I'd probably say no.

3. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the advice. I guess that means I should dump it in the compost bin and get fresh stuff. I don't want to risk the chicks with bad feed.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Even in Canada if it was purchased in August it'll make excellent fertilizer.

Here in Florida I'll keep milled feed across the winter months but not the summer. If the weather is warm I like to have it used up and gone within six weeks or so.

Whole grains are different.

5. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks. I don't like to have my feed last too long either, but it's hard with a small flock and I can only purchase in 50lb bags. If there was a 25 lb bag option I would go for that, as I find a 50lb bag lasts me 3 or 4 months with only 3 hens. It was going down faster when I had the 4 hens, 2 being RIR X. So I hope after these chicks grow up enough to eat the layer feed it will be eaten in a more reasonable amount of time. I am hoping to end up with 6 layers total, and any chickens above that number will be going to a new home.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It depends on how it was stored. If in a dark, dry, cool area then it's fine. Geesh, otherwise that would be like saying seeds gathered last fall wont sprout!

7. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Does it make a difference if it looks like real seeds or it look like crumbs with everything evenly mixed?
    Thanks!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you can feed your chick food to the whole flock it won't hurt them just be sure to put Oyster shell out for the layers. even my ducks eat it. I guess baby food tastes good. [​IMG]

9. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    The only other thing I'm worried about doing that is that it is medicated for coccidia - I didn't realize when I bought it.
    Would that affect my eating eggs?

10. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I would find someone in your area who also only has a few chickies and share a bag. maybe the feed store would let you post a sign in their store.

Donna in Branson

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by