How long is it safe for a broody to be off her nest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eenie114, Jul 30, 2010.

1. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Ella usually climbs off her nest for about 7-15 min. Is this normal? Or am I just paranoid? This is only my second hatching ever, and so I am most likly just overly worried, but I want to be sure, so that if she's off too long, I can move her eggs under my other broody, who only has 1 egg.

Thanks!

2. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Oh that's totally normal and completely fine! My broody girls will get up off the nest for sometimes an hour or more and they've hatched out bunches of babies, 15 minutes is no big deal at all.

3. PuppyBantamCochin

PuppyBantamCochin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    I have 3 broodies right now, and sometimes they come off the nest for 40minutes or so.
    I moved eggs around, because one of my broodies had 10 and the others didn't have anything except golf balls, so you should be fine moving the eggs.

4. MjChickens

MjChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    La Center, Wa
    With it being summer and most places are in the 80's or higher I would not worry about them being off the nest for 40 mins. If I remember correctly 20 mins is the average time for hens to be off the nest. So don't worry...

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Our heat index is over 105 every day..I keep telling my ladies they can go play all day and return at night eggs will be fine.My broody's get off and my white leghorn didn't even cover all of her eggs well-she had 11 and 9 hatched fine.

6. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Agreed...nothing to worry about. We had wild temp swings when our hen went broody. It would get down into the low 50s at night and wasn't that warm during the day. We had 9 out of 13 hatch.

7. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I had the same question ..thanks [​IMG]

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    They know what they're doing. In the summer, I'll see them get up for 15-30 minutes and the eggs are fine. I had Silkies who would brood in the middle of winter and they'd be up just long enough to scarf down some food and straight back to the nest - 2 minutes, tops. They seem to know what they need to do to ensure the eggs hatch well.

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'm from chilly Wales.

My broody hens have been off their eggs sometimes for over 30 minutes when the external temperature has been in the 40's and they have still had good hatch rates. I have also just had a hen brood outdoors totally and she is currently hatching healthy chicks

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by