1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long is it safe for my hen to be broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by evardson89, May 27, 2016.

1. evardson89

evardson89 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    UK
    Hi everyone.
    Can anyone tell me how long it is safe for my hen to be broody for? She's sat on a cluster of eggs for 25 days now, obviously they will not hatch (at day 7, another hen scattered them and they were cold over night. Next day she collected them back up and sat on them again) I'm wondering if I can put some fertile eggs in place of the existing eggs when she goes to feed next or would it be damaging to her health if she was to be incubating eggs for say 50 days straight?
    Many thanks

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I guess its a personal choice, but yes, sitting for so long will affect her condition and make her more susceptible to illness. If you do choose to do so, I'd say ensure that she has access to growers food and add vitamin supplements / electrolytes to her water. Personally, i would wait until she goes broody again.

Cheers
    CT

3. evardson89

May 9, 2016
    UK
    Thanks for taking time to read. Rants what I was worried about.
    Thanks for the help

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    No problem and you are most welcome. I don't do rants (nor do most people here) - at the end of the day, we should all do what we feel is best for us and our situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide

CT

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If you decide to let her incubate some more fertile eggs, don't buy expensive ones as she may give up and decide to quit herself before they reach hatch.

If you decide not to, then you need to take steps to break her of her broodiness and removing the eggs in her nest may bot be enough. You will probably need to make a wire bottomed cage to put her in and chock it up off the ground with a little roost bar, but no bedding, so that there is air flow underneath her to cool her down. Ideally she needs to stay in it with food and water of course, day and night for 2 or 3 days.

I'm in a similar situation and was building a broody buster cage for Dolly when her pal, Portia also went broody. I gave Portia a nest of eggs to incubate but Dolly decided that she really wants a second chance and has taken over Portia's nest, so I'm going to let her go for it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Regards

Barbara.

6. evardson89

May 9, 2016
    UK
    Thanks Barbara. I'm lucky enough to have my own supply of fertile eggs. I've managed to remove the old eggs, one explodes all over me and my shed and I've never felt so traumatised and dirty in all my life! Another dropped and had an embryo in. It looked like it was around 7 days which would have been from when she scattered. I've had to dump my best egg collecting tub with the eggs in some waste ground at the side of my house as it stunk my outside bin out!!!
    I've placed a new cluster of eggs under her ranging from being hatched from 23rd until today (26th). I will see how she goes. She seems to be taking to them well.
    Thanks for taking the time to read and your valuable advice Barbara
    Ben

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by