How long is long enough?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Laurel Marie, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Laurel Marie

Laurel Marie In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2017
    Pacifica, CA
    IMG_1433.JPG IMG_1434.JPG my hen hatched her fist egg on Tuesday night. The eggs hit 21 days on Wednesday. This morning (Thursday) still no other chicks. All eggs were started at the same time. I didn't candle at all during this hatch.
    Should I candle now? I've seen lots of different opinions on how long to wait before pulling the eggs..

2. Wait another day or two. That's usually how long the hen stays on the nest after the first hatch

Birdinhand and Laurel Marie like this.
  3. Laurel Marie

Jun 20, 2017
    Pacifica, CA
    So just wait for her to leave on her own before pulling, yes?

sassysarah123 likes this.
  4. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chirping

Aug 28, 2016
    I should have read this before posting almost the exact same thread! Good luck and your sweet little chick looks a lot like one of my new babies!

sassysarah123 likes this.
  5. Laurel Marie

Jun 20, 2017
    Pacifica, CA
    Ugh! It's so stressful. Only 4 eggs made it to hatch day and I'm s little dad she only has one chick to show for her efforts. I really hope at least one more hatches :fl

6. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chirping

Aug 28, 2016
    The six eggs my broody was still sitting on this afternoon (after two successfully hatched on Tuesday) were all duds. So now I'm hoping these two cute babies stay healthy and are girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: