How long is normal for chicks to sit under hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Three Silkies, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Three Silkies

Three Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

My six baby chicks all insist on sleeping under their mama hen even though they're 7-weeks-old. They're silkies so mama hen is quite small and can't accommodate them all, especially now they're so big. They hatched naturally and grew up outside with mama hen for warmth and no heat lamp. We're in Spring here so it's not very cold. Is this normal?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes I had chicks up to 8 weeks and over try to sleep under mommy. They were too big to do it but they still tried. They are just big babies. Its so funny to watch them try. Its perfectly normal. Don't worry. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

3. Three Silkies

Thank you. What a relief to know it's normal. It's so cute though I think Mama Hen is fast approaching had enough! Thanks for your advice.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Sometimes they piggy back on Momma hen too.

Caroline

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    My bitys sleep over in the corner under their old hen until they're 2-3 months old, then 1 day they all fly up the ladder to the roost and start sleeping there.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quote: Yes, as others have said, very normal. How long she allows this depends on her instinct levels and broody cycle, but size of clutch can make a difference too. Also her experience and temperament as a mother, and your circumstances will impact how long they snuggle. Soon enough they'll start perching normally, or snuggling eachother.

Best wishes.

7. Three Silkies

That is just ridiculously cute!

8. Three Silkies

Ha ha. How cute. My silkies have always preferred sleeping on the floor huddled together in a pile to roosting. Strange creatures.

9. Three Silkies

Thank you. This is her first time mothering and she's doing such a great job. I'm so proud of her.

10. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    It's one of the simple joys, to watch a good mother do her job. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by