1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long is the molt process?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nyssa03, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Some of my girls are looking like they are starting to molt and I have had a little drop in egg production. If I started a forced molt for everyone now, would they get their new feathers before it gets cold? --- about the end of October so -- is two months long enough?
    thanks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How do you do a forced molt? Mine are starting too but I just leave them alone by end of Sept beginning of Oct they will have all their new feathers and be looking good.

3. Nyssa03

Forcing a molt -- according to Holderread's book involves changing their feed (and eliminating artificial light- but we don't have that right now anyway).

4. chanceschickens

chanceschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    What is the benefits of forcing a molt?

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have the book should have looked it up.

6. Nyssa03

To give the flock a rest from egg production and have all new feathers going into the cold winter months.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think most ducks do this naturally, mine do, they stop laying and start to molt on their own .

8. Nyssa03

Hi MissLydia - do they all stop laying at once? I am worried about some of them being late and then not being ready for winter. We can have very cold weather as early as Nov.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It seems once one starts they all get going. I still have 2 ducks brooding they aren't on eggs so next week they will be outside so they can get going along with the rest. Even my chickens are molting so it must have something to do with losing daylight sets off their clock. If you are worried some may not finish before cold weather sets in then by all means do what you have to do, I just know here they seem to start and finish before the real cold hits.

10. Nyssa03

Thanks - I appreciate you sharing your experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by