How long is to long to leave a duck sitting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jayjay, Apr 13, 2012.

1. jayjay

jayjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Hi,

Started a thread a shile ago expecting Khaki Campbell eggs to hatch. I know i have not been exact with my dates but even so by my reckoning eggs are now approx 4/5 days late in hatching. Mum is still sitting and has been all along. She has thrown 4 eggs out over the last week. I check them every day but hear no sounds. I have candled them but see no movement. I have watched videos and they have said that in the late stages you cannot always see movement.

I am assuming that if the eggs had anything wrong with them she would get rid of them like the others. Being outside and the fluctuation in temperatures could this be a reason they are this late? Or should i take them all away? I have had some great feedback on the hatching process but am not sure if to leave her for a while longer. Has anyone had similar experiences.

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Morning jayjay.

I've read your other thread and I'm of the mind that you should leave her to sit for as long as *she* wants to. The reason I say this is because KC's are not reknowned for being great at sitting on their eggs and the fact she is so determined means she'll give up when she is ready.

For the sake of the children and learning about the hatching process you may want to consider investing in one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/R-Com-Mini-Incubator-Chickens-Hatches/dp/B001VVLP3I

I was bought one as a gift for Mothering Sunday and I have two KC eggs in there due to hatch in under a weeks time. Plus I have 3 KC eggs underneath a broody bantam chook which should hatch in about 20 days time [​IMG]

If you need fertile KC eggs, PM me and I can send you some.

3. jayjay

jayjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Hi and thank you for your reply. I will leave her for a little longer to see what happens. I have looked at the link and think this is a good idea if it does not work. Your right, the children have been keeping an eye on her and are so excited. Do you think there still may be a chance of hatching?

Please let me know how your hatch goes.

4. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    I think, all the while you have fertilized eggs under her and she is still sitting, there has to be a small chance; but I couldn't say for sure.

I can well believe how excited the children are (I'm a grown-up and *I'm* excited!!! [​IMG]) But, should your eggs be unsuccessful, do consider that little incubator - there will still be time before the end of the school year for the children to watch the magic of hatching eggs.

Yes, I shall let you know how my hatching experiments turn out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by