1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long is to long

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pats Poultry, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    I have read over and over that grass that is to long is not good for the chickens. When I turn loose my chickens in the spring(they are just babies now) I am sure that they will eat some or all of my lawn. I keep my grass cut to about 3 to 4 inches long. Is that to long for them to digest.

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Hi there.
    That would, be a fine size not too long.
    When I first got hens for eggs the had a 12foot run in the shape of a square
    So each side was 12 foot.
    The grass there was about 1 foot long.
    You couldn't see the chickens all you could see what their paths lol.
    They had the grass completely gone in around 1 year.
    It done them no harm.
    Goodluck
    Fionn.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    When they graze, they snip off the correct size.
    If you cut grass with a manual hedge trimmer like I do for my girls, I cut it about 1 1/2 inches. GC

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Pats Poultry

Now, I could be wrong but I think the “grass being too long” issue relates more to clippings that you might be giving them.

For example, in my novice days, I had a chicken with impacted crop because I had not had a chance to mow the lawn and when I did, I popped the clippings into the run as I always did. Because the clippings were longer than usual and she was picking them up and eating them whole her crop impacted [she recovered and we still have her].

However, I believe that if they are eating grass which is still attached to the earth, they do not eat long pieces and just peck off bite size pieces.

I ensure now that any clippings I give them are from a tidy up mow only.

5. Pats Poultry

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    Thanks to all for the replies. I am a little anal when it comes to my lawn and that is why I keep it that long, I like the look of a well kept long cut lawn. I have no idea what I was thinking when we decided to get grass eating machines called chickens which begs the question of how long would it take 4 hens( I think they are hens) to turn a lawn into a giant dust bath. But ****, they sure are cute and entertaining.

6. Pats Poultry

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    The **** is the word that holds water back to create a lake. Whoops.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey Pat

Yep, their chickenalities never fail to give us a reason to smile or chuckle every day.

I have had approx 5 by bantams free ranging my garden for coming up to 4 years now and we still have lawn. It might be our climate but they graze on the lawn early morning and again in the evening but the majority of the time is spent in the tropical part of the garden, digging between the pots, relaxing under the foliage, chatting to the fish etc [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    How big is your yard? 4 hens would not destroy a yard unless it is really small and they are confined to it. They might find one or two placed to dust bath but if you allow them out to free range an area you won't notice much damage. Now a run that they are confined to is a different story, they can make that dirt in no time.

9. Pats Poultry

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    That is really good to know, my yard is the typical suburban yard about 1500 sq ft +or -. They do have a run that is 8X20 but would like to have them out a few hours a day for a change of pace. Thank you all for the replies and information

10. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    My run is 8x24 and my 9 hens had it down to dirt in about 7 days. Other then a few spots they tend to like the rest of my yard is fine, in the summer they are out from about 3 PM till dark and then out almost all day on the weekends. They typically roam around to different areas but they never get too far from the coop. Usually stay within 50 -100 yards from the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by