How Long Is Too Long For A Broody ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickbrad24, Feb 8, 2015.

1. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Right now at this time I have 3 broody hens 1 is a Jersey Giant 1 is a Buff Orpington and the other is a Red Star. My Jersey Giant has me more concerned because she has been broody for over a month. I believe if she stays on the nest by Feb 11th the chicks should hatch. I am not sure how many eggs she is sitting on. I did hatch out some chicks a couple of days ago and tried to place some chicks underneath her. That did not go over to well.

So my main question is, Is it unhealthy that she has been broody so long ?
    My other question is that tractor supply will be having there chick days soon if her eggs don't hatch how would I go about sneaking some chicks under her ?

Thank you,
    Bradley

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Yes it is really dangerous to leave her on the nest too long because she is not eating,drinking or foraging as much as she did, when our Java's went broody you could feel the keel bone and almost move it around. If they don't hatch too long after she's on the nest move her.

3. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    They should hatch on the 11th if there is no chicks I will have to take her off. I don't want to risk losing her if she keeps being broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by