1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long is too long to wait to eat a rooster?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by themoorethemerrier, Aug 11, 2008.

1. themoorethemerrier

themoorethemerrier Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    WNY
    I'm a newbie, so sorry if this question was asked recently - I have about 5 one-year-old bantam roosters that are over breeding my hens. I know what the prime butcher time is, but will they be alright to stew, or not? Thanks!

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    They'll make fine stewers, or if you have a pressure canner, you can can them and the meat will get tender. I cook my oldies in the crock pot, usually, and just leave them on until the meat comes off the bones easily. Take the meat off and use it in all kinds of dishes, mexican, or pasta, or whatever. Save the broth, it'll be wonderful. I chill mine, remove the fat and use that for cooking, freeze the broth to use later in soups, sauces, stuffing, gravy, or to cook dumplings. It'll be darker than you're used to seeing, that's ok, it's just much richer than from a younger bird.

For birds as old as yours, it's a good idea to brine the meat before you cook it. Just soak it overnight in the fridge. I use 1 TBS. salt per quart of water, and an equal amount of sugar to cut the harshness of the salt. Some use a higher percentage of salt, this is just how I like it.

Here's a link to some brine recipes.
    http://www.bbq-porch.org/brining06.htm

The reason for brining is that water and salt are attracted to each other, salt in the meat tissues help keep the meat from drying out. It's odd, but meat can be dry even when cooked in liquid. Brine helps reduce the "stringiness" of an older bird.

I find that even if a bird does get a bit stringy when cooked, the meat is still very tasty, and if you chop it up and use in enchiladas, pot pie, or whatever, it won't be noticeable. Everybody will just tell you how good it is.

Enjoy your meals!

3. themoorethemerrier

themoorethemerrier Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    WNY
    dancingbear,

We butchered and ate the little freeloaders. We did the brine, and it is SOOOO good. Dare I say, better than young. There's more flavor!

Thanks!

K Moore

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Oh, good! I'm always happy to hear of good results! What dishes did you prepare?

Sometimes I crock pot two or three birds at once, take the meat off the bones, and use it a bit at a time through the week, in whatever I take a notion to make. Chicken tacos are a favorite of mine, made with soft corn tortillas. I fry the tortillas with a little butter, just until hot and pliable, then fold and fill with seasoned chicken, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, chopped green onion, and sometimes some jalapeƱos or salsa. MMMMMMM! Same thing, but with flour tortillas, or hot pita bread, is really good, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by