How long is too long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mssocks, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Mssocks

Mssocks Just Hatched

May 13, 2016
    Hi, I have a Silkie sitting on 1 egg (I was collecting them, then noticed she had gone broody) She has been sitting on it for almost 4 weeks[​IMG] Should I take it away or will she decide for herself it isn't going to hatch and abandon it? Please help!! Thanks :)

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Normally they sit there until you break them from the broodiness or until they hatch some eggs.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. Mssocks

Mssocks Just Hatched

May 13, 2016
    Do you think I should just leave her then? I have some chicks that I hatched in the incubator,they are 1 week old. Do you think I could possibly do a switch, take the egg and leave her a chick? I also have a roo and a hen with a week old chick in the same coop. Would they hurt the new chick if I did the switch? Thanks for your help[​IMG]

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Are you sure the egg she is sitting on is either not fertile or has stopped developing? You may want to candle it to be sure. If the egg is not viable, I think your best options would be:

1. Take the egg and break her of being broody
    2. Take the egg and chance putting other fertile eggs under her to see if she will sit another 3 weeks (provided she is still in good condition having already set 4 weeks)
    3. or Find chicks that are only a day or two old to put under her (In my opinion week old chicks are too old to try this and it could end very badly)

Either way, I would recommend separating them from the other birds. Even if your silkie has already proven herself to be a very protective mom, you will likely want to wait until a bit before the chicks are allowed around other birds. Roos and other hens have been known to go after another broody's chicks.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. Mssocks

Mssocks Just Hatched

May 13, 2016
    Thanks very much for your information. I'm going to take the egg away, hopefully that will break her.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by