How long is your Christmas?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by newfoundland, Nov 11, 2010.

1. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Year on year Christmas in UK is getting longer! We have 25th and 26th as national holidays and 1st of January. If those days fall on a Saturday or Sunday, the following Monday/Tuesday are national holidays. Depending on the day of the week Christmas falls on, by taking a couple of days leave from work it is possible to extend the holiday for at least a week if not 10 days! Wonderful in some ways but a nightmare for the caterer of the family! Is this getting all too much do you think?

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Nope, I love having all my family round me and not having to worry about sending them off to work and school etc. It's a brilliant time of year to spend some real quality time with family. I love it. What i hate is the run up to Christmas. As soon as Halloween is over the Christmas trees go up and the shelves are filled with Christmassy stuff - it's too early for me.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Our Christmas is 0 days long. It does seem like it gets longer and longer every year in the stores.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have celebrated the 12 days of Christmas for many, many years. I do have issues with the stores bringing out Christmas stuff earlier and earlier, and I am seeing Christmas decorations on homes going up earlier and earlier, too. I guess that it doesn;t bother me when people start putting up their lights early; but it DOES bother me when they are lighting them before Thanksgiving!

FWIW, The 1st Day of Christmas is the 25th, not 12 days earlier, as is commonly thought. The 12th day is the day before Epiphany.

School holidays here are usually from shortly before Christmas until shortly after New Years. Businesses that have assembly lines or group related work often close down between Christmas and New Years, giving everyone a (forced) vacation.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:True! Hope more and more people start to realize that - it takes the pressure off of having to have one blissfully spectacular day and then whummmppfff, it's all over but the empty boxes.

6. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Since Christmas Eve is on a Friday this year, we'll have three days of Christmas. Otherwise, we usually take off at noon on CE and take all of Christmas Day.

We can't take too much time off because we're in the heating industry and the end of December is prime furnace breakdown time around here. [​IMG] My DH has been out on many, many calls on Christmas Day but people are always so appreciative.

7. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm going to have to second Sonoran's comment. I hate it when everyone sets up decorations and all the music plays before even Thanksgiving. 'Bah Humbug' I say. [​IMG]

And yes, we also celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas. I get a few days off of school before Christmas, however, simply because we're preparing like crazy-go-nuts.

8. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    What do you do to celebrate 12 days of Christmas? I would love to do that, but since I did not grow up celebrating 12 days of christmas, I wouldn't know what to do! Thank you in advance for your insights! [​IMG]

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

DH gets The Day off, and they try to get out early on Eve but it doesn't always happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by