how long it takes for predators to dig and get thru?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chirpchirp, May 13, 2009.

1. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    hi, was wondering how long it takes various predators (racoons, fox, coyote, etc) to dig under a fence to get chickens? any info and experience would be greatly appreciated. i've got 25 chicks coming in june and am trying to perfect the coop and make it as safe as possible. the coop is located directly next to our dogs kennel, so i am hoping her presence will deter any would be chicken killers to begin with..... any stories? thanks:)

2. xtremevermonter

xtremevermonter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    That is a good question. I'm sorry I don't have the answer, I would like to know myself. However in preparation I have buried the chicken wire 1' deep and lined the bottom of the trench with broken glass (beer bottles) to help deter any diggers.

Anyone have any experience with predators digging?

3. trekster78

trekster78 New Egg

Mar 9, 2009
    I once had a raccoon dig under a 6 foot tall fence and up through the inside of my coop. Don't know how deep the fence was but the coop was sitting along the fence about 1 foot out and it didn't take long for them to do that. I ended up putting a wood floor on the bottom of my coop.

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Well, let's put it this way. I have a 75 pound dog (yeah, he's fat) that could dig down 1 foot in about 3 minutes tops if he was motivated. Fortunately, he doesn't get the urge to do so very often. I'm guessing that hungry wildlife would have the motivation to do so faster.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy to fast. Bury wire in the ground to deter predators. Some electric fencing is always fun.

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I watched a coon dig down about 8 inches and slide easily under a fence in under 4 minutes.

7. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    wow! i guess i better beef up my security!

8. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    I burried my fence and put some rocks down in with it before I back-filled...
    We'll see how that works on a few weeks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by