How long must I wait????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scrapmom5, Jul 5, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    My Dh purchased two beautiful 13 month old polish hens. They had been laying at their previous home but have not layed at their new home. I figured that I would need to wait a day or two for them to settle from the stress of the move. How much longer do I need to wait????

My DH really wants the eggs now which is why he purchased two hens. My other hens are 18 week pullets and have no problems with the newcomers. The Polish do tend to stay away from the other girls. There is no fighting between them, in fact the pullets treat the newbies like they have always been there.

Out of 20 chickens, we would like at least one egg. Will we ever get one? How much longer do we need to wait?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, it depends. I've heard it can take two weeks to a month or so. That's for the new Polish. At 18 weeks old, you may have another 2-8 weeks. Depends on their breed and other factors. My girls who took the longest to lay were 29 and 30 weeks.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  3. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    The polish are 13 months old.

The ones that are 18 weeks are brahma, orpingtons, cochin, austrolope, EEs.

Will the polish resume their laying soon or do we need to wait the 2 - 8 weeks for them to lay again?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The Australorp and EE may lay first or the Orpington. Brahmas and Cochins can be slower to mature. The Polish may take another couple of weeks before they lay or they could lay tomorrow. It's hard to say when you move a hen when she'll start laying again. My 29 weeker was a Speckled Sussex and my 30 weeker was a Buff Brahma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by