How Long off the nest is too long?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PostCarbonPioneer, Mar 18, 2011.

1. PostCarbonPioneer

PostCarbonPioneer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Yesterday I noticed that the door to little coop where I'm keeping my Rhodie on 12 eggs had blown open, and I found my Rhodie wandering around looking a little lost about 50 yards from her eggs. I'm not sure how long she was off the nest. She was on the edges of the main flock, and just looked confused. I brought her back to her nest and felt the eggs. The outer ones were slightly cool, and the inner ones still warm.

Are the eggs in trouble? This is my first time with a setting hen and I just don't know.

She also seems to be eating and drinking very little. The food and water I'm providing just isn't being consumed.

The eggs would be due to hatch on the 27th, so yesterday was the 10th day.

Thanks for any wisdom.

PCP

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Eggs are pretty good at holding temperature- especially at the core rather than the shell. If they were still warm to touch it is unlikely she had been off for too long. You could candle the eggs just to set your mind at ease about how they are going.

A broody will be in an almost trance like state sometimes when sitting on eggs- and they usually dont eat very much at all. She may loose a lot of condition while sitting but will make it back quickly once the chickens are hatched.

3. PostCarbonPioneer

PostCarbonPioneer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Just a follow-up. Of the 13 eggs, 7 hatched. One boy died immediately, something with the navel. Previously, 2 exploded, 2 or 3 were clear, and the hen kicked the last two out of the nest about 2 or 3 days after the hatch.

So I have six from this hatch. 4 girls, 2 boys.

Now I have another 14 under another hen. Just candled tonight on Day 11, and 10 are good for sure and the 11th is kind of unsure. 3 were clear. So we shall see !

PCP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by