How long (on average) will a hen produce eggs?

Farmgirl1971

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 12, 2011
NC/SC
Ok I'm considering 2 different breeds ~ I know on average hens start laying around 5 months

But how long do they lay? On average?

TYIA!

Leghorn
And something red
smile.png
Maybe Red Star?

I have small kids so I need kid friendly, but eggs are mucho important
We live in the South East our temps range 20 to 98 degrees

I just want to know from a chicken expert how long on average a chicken lays for...
I've heard 3 years then production begins to taper off... but that was from someone who doesn't have chickens

Currently seeking 6 hens ~ building coop
big_smile.png

TYIA!

Last edited:
3 years and then tapering off is a pretty good estimation, but it can vary. I had a Gold Laced Wyandotte lay well for 4 years then mostly just stopped.

Hens are hatched with tens of thousands of eggs in their ovaries. There is no evidence that lights "burn" them out earlier. Some people do believe it though.

Imp

. There is no evidence that lights "burn" them out earlier. Some people do believe it though.

gig.gif
I was just wondering if putting them in hyper lay mode by whatever means would shorten the length of time... like they might lay 600 eggs over three years or over five years..same number total just a dribble instead of a flood...
hu.gif

Quote:
Lol! Seems like they should lay for decades.
lol.png

Imp

I know right?
So Im thinking as long as we're lovin' and a hugin' and kissin' the little darlins every single day
Maybe I can coax 'em to lay longer?
Sweet talk them....

Anyone done an un-scientific test and gotten your hens to lay almost daily for 5 yrs? 6?

Back
Top Bottom