How long on two counts!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1mommahen, Feb 12, 2009.

1. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Won blrw eggs on eggbid.com on Sunday night. Seller said they would ship Monday. Gave me tracking number that says he sent them at 1:42pm Monday Priority Mail from NC.

I am in NJ, no eggs yet. How long should it take and will they still be viable??

Maybe tomorrow will be better![​IMG]

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    it may take a few days go to shiper website and use tracking number to find thelm also for hatching let thelm sit one maybe 2 days (turn thelm so they dont stick) and you should be ok.

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:If they were shipped Monday, chances are they were laid not earlier than Saturday, maybe Friday.

I would regard Friday as seven days since laying, and want to get them set pretty quickly.

They need to rest on arrival, and come up to room temp. This need not take more than a few hours.

Letting them rest for longer has to be balanced against reduced viability as the days progress.

4. 1mommahen

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Thanks so much, I hope they show tomorrow![​IMG]

5. 1mommahen

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    twigg, this is the reply I just got back from the seller:

2 of the eggs were 3 days old 2 eggs 2 days old and 2 eggs 1 day old and they were stored in a turner and turned 8 times a day in 50-60 degree F.

So if they come tomorrow and I put them with the broody girl tomorrow evening, do I have a chance??

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:So .... Friday is right for the older ones.

Yes, I would set them tomorrow evening, and you have every chance [​IMG]

Shipped eggs can suffer reduced viability, so don't leave it too long. On the other hand, many shipments hatch perfectly, so ya just have to wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by