How long should French guinnea keets be kept in the brooder?

Same as regular Guineas... 6 wks when they are fairly well feathered, or until your temps are warm enough that they no longer need a brooder lamp, but only IF your coop is predator proof and safe for the keets. (You could put a brooder lamp out in the coop for them too if you want them out of the brooder sooner).

Congrats on your new babies
smile.png
Post some pics

Thank you! I have 2 ducks in the house already in a brooder, and the idea of 15 more keets makes me....uggh. If it were 3 or 4, I would be OK...but 15.....
ep.gif
The coop is an old grain house. We do have mice and small animals in there (The holes are plugged up, but they can get in from the holes up by the roof if they can climb). Do you think if I put the brooder box in a large kennel with the heat lamp, then put that in the bird house, that would keep them safe? Just because they arnt pets, doesnt mean I dont want them safe and healthy.

If I have to keep them inside for a while I will, but I prefer not to.

Do you know of you have weasels or snakes in your area that could possibly get in and eat the keets? If so, can you get some 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth and cover all the wire areas on the dog kennel with that, (attach it with zip ties)? I think that would be a pretty safe setup if you could. And then once they outgrow the brooder you could let them have the kennel as an intermediate pen (with a brooder lamp still)
smile.png

I know we have mink and ferret here. I will do that! I need to get chicken wire to make a pen for them anyway, so I will get some 1/2 x 1/2 too! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom