How long should I expect a wafer thermostat to last?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Mar 17, 2013.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    My hovabator is fluctuating approximately 5 degrees up and down, where it used to stay super steady throughout incubation. I'm suspecting the thermostat but want some experienced feedback.

The thermostat is about five years old, and was used heavily for the first two of those. Then I had a couple bum batches that never developed, plus a couple really hard years personally during which I did not incubate. I just took it back up again this season. I may have been having the problems during those bum batches, but I don't recall.

It's a Hovabator, standard model, circulating air. I'm going to check the fan too, and see if that could be the culprit. Appreciate any feedback. Don't want to spend $25 if it's no the thermostat. :)

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    There is really no such time, or guarantee on how long they will last. 5 years is a long time. You started the thread about wafers, didn't you? If it's varying 5 degrees, its time to change it. It's been a long time since I bought one, but isn't $25 a bit high for a wafer?., You don't need to change the whole thermostat, just the wafer.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yup, that's my thread too--I started it after this one, when it occurred to me I had more questions. :)

Thanks for the feedback--and the information. I didn't know I could buy the wafer separately. I'll look into it further. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by