How long should I leave the egg in the nesting box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Paislee, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Paislee

Paislee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    South East Louisiana
    My first egg from my flock was laid today and I do not know how long I should leave it in the box, I'm kind of worried about it getting broken and the egg eating issue starting should I leave it there for an example for the other birds or take it out right away?

2. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    If you want, they sell FAKE EGGS you can use to decoy the cycens to lay, in the Boxes.

3. Paislee

Paislee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    South East Louisiana
    I have golf balls in each nesting box as of now lol poor little egg isn't even that big... :p so cute though!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can take it out....or leave it.

I've been taking out my pullet eggs several times a day just because they're not used to the whole routine and I don't want them messing with them.

5. Ramlinroo

Ramlinroo New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    corpus christi, texas
    My girls are pretty good at laying a few eggs every couple of hours.I check thier boxes every few hours and take what there,, some of my girls dont like the idea, but I have also found a few eggs can be poked at by the others...thats why I take them out.they get replaced rt away with another egg.Dont know if this helps.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have 6 laying for nearly a year, collect eggs once a day, and have had no broken or pecked eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by