How long should I let her rest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tbitt, Apr 13, 2012.

1. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    My friend is having family health issues so she asked me to take her very small flock of ducks for her because they were being naughty in her absence.

I have 10 of my own (one being a drake) and I took on her 4 (one also being a drake)

These ducks were raised together (born last June), so they are OK to put together. [​IMG] [​IMG] So after a day of looking at each other through fences we put them together. They did surprisingly well!!! [​IMG]

I knew the drakes would fight for dominance and they did...but at a very small physical level ....but one way they fought was for dominance of the hens. One hen in particular was their target... this poor hen was over bred. I did not "see" (aka understand the extent of) what was really going on, after 2 days of this she came up lame. [​IMG]

I have her cooped up at night in the duck house with the rest of the flock, but in a crate.
    She goes out in the pen ALL day by herself (or if I can outsmart a hen she will get a pen mate for the day) so she can heal.

So, it has been almost a week of her being separated from the drakes and yesterday she was no longer limping AT ALL.

My question is:

How long would you keep her separated to make sure she is strong enough (healed enough) to not be re-injured?

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    If she's healing well already, I would still give her another week.

3. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    She is doing very well. She is no longer limping around, she is eating and roaming around the pen. I am glad; I was kind of worried it might be a torn muscle. Looks more like a strain..but still not good....

Today she has 3 girlfriends with her in the pen. She is much happier....now my one Golden 300 and my Blue Swedish is upset.... [​IMG] (They can suck it up for a day and keep er company)

Thanks, I think I might just do that.... She has the routine of going into the crate down so it is not hard to put her away at night.

4. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    You've done the wisest thing by seperating her physically, but still giving her contact with the flock (which is important). Let her get her strength back and I think it will all go well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by