How long should I let her sit for? Pleeeeease help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poupoule, Nov 9, 2009.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Hi,

My silkie has been sitting on 5 eggs for 21 days today, but .....still nothing [​IMG] I looked at the eggs a week 1 and all had some development in them. I also looked last week, and from what I could see (not much really!) it looked ok. I was expecting them to hatched around day 19 (just like my bantam). It is the first time she sits: she is only 8 months old. How much longer should I wait? Is ther a way I can check if the chicks 'to be' are still alive?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Give her another day or two at least...just like incubator eggs, they can go over a couple of days...[​IMG]

3. poupoule

Dec 9, 2008
    Thanks. I supposed I need to be a little bit more patient (but it has already been 3 weeks!!!!). So what should I do (I am considering the worse now) if by day 25 notinh has happened?

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    well, as long as you are feeding her in her nest box and she isn't getting too thin, you could replace her eggs, even with just 1 or 2 new fertile eggs...that's what I'm looking at doing in the next day or two with my broody silkie...

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If the worst happens and you don't have any hatch see if you can get some day-old chicks and swap them out for the dud eggs after dark. Don't give up yet though, you're still in the normal range for a hatch.[​IMG]

6. poupoule

Dec 9, 2008
    But that will means she'll be sitting for another 3 weeks! Poor little darling [​IMG]
    She is getting a little thin, but I put somesaocked bread every day in front og her nest and she eats it. May be I could put a bit more. What is the worse situation, being depressed from not having babies after waiting for that long, or sitting for another 3 weeks?

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    PLEASE put her regular food in her nest box with her. Eating nothing but bread for weeks on end is a bigger problem than sitting on eggs for another 3 weeks. Or like the other person said - see if you can find some day old chicks (I've read anything up to 3 days old) and swap them out for the eggs at night. I've done that for a friend's broody with some chicks I had (don't know why I didn't think of it actually) and she took them no problem.

8. poupoule

Dec 9, 2008
    Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can find some day old chicks by next week if nothing happened. Just a question. What is wrong about feeding bread?

9. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:It's not so much that she'll be depressed, but that she won't give up sitting and it can be bad for her health to stay on the nest for that long. Like the other poster said, give her something healthier to eat than bread. I'd put some layer or better yet higher protien grower mix in front of her. Scrambled eggs are a good high-protien treat that might tempt her to eat as well.

10. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:It's ok for a treat, but is basically junk food for chickens. She's probably not eating very much anyhow while she's broody so it's important that what she does eat is good for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by