How long should I stay with Chick starter

FoghornTim

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 17, 2015
Grove City Ohio
My chicks are black . Sorry can't spell the full name yet. Starts with "A" . 10 weeks old. How long do I stay with chick starter?

Also I bought Rural King Country Roads prior and about out. I avoid Purina for our dog. How is it for poultry? Thanks

I dont like Purina for Poultry its to powdery.Keep them on chick starter till 18-20 weeks then switch to layer

Last edited:
Australorps? Agree with MasterofClucker, keeping on chick starter 18 - 20wks. The feed store here sells Purina Chick Starter (medicated) so that's what I use. It does get powdery/dusty but since I feed FF, it don't matter & they love it. Problem is they love walking in it so when they're just hatch I put a thin layer on a plastic lid, when they get about a week old I use the (red) chick feeder with the screw on top; I close up the center hole (for the quarter feed holder) with a mayo lip taped. I don't want anyone slipping through it, getting stuck or breaking a leg.

Have fun with you babies....

Thanks all. Yes astrolaps. The rural king brand seems a bit dusty also. I may try purina, I do see it says medicated. I too have the red feeder. But they are too big and trash that by walking over it. So with our dry weather here in Ohio I been just spreading it in the pin.

I only keep my little ones on Chick Start until 8 to 10 weeks of age and then I switch them to Grower until they are ready for Layer.

Chick Starter is sold in 50# bags here, it lasted me (2 EE & 2 RIR) about 18wk doing FF
yippiechickie.gif
about 3 - 4x day. They did get fresh veggies, mealworms & fruit daily....Yup, spoiled.

Chick Starter is sold in 50# bags here, it lasted me (2 EE & 2 RIR) about 18wk doing FF
yippiechickie.gif
about 3 - 4x day. They did get fresh veggies, mealworms & fruit daily....Yup, spoiled.

Gees, that is not good. With the small number of hatches I have, I would waste heaps. We can purchase it here from the feed store in 2kg bags upwards. I had some left over from a previous hatch and the feed store chap told me that as it had been a few months, even in an air tight container it was preferable to start with new as the medication expires. I trust him as I would have no idea
wink.png

One of the reasons I switch to Grower is that not only does it have a bit more substance [not so powdery] my mumma hens are not fans of Chick Start and the sooner I can get them off it, the happier they are
wink.png

I too introduce treats about the one week mark, pretty much what the big gals get but in much smaller proportions.

Thanks all. Yes astrolaps. The rural king brand seems a bit dusty also. I may try purina, I do see it says medicated. I too have the red feeder. But they are too big and trash that by walking over it. So with our dry weather here in Ohio I been just spreading it in the pin.

Set your feeder on something higher than ground level, by 7 weeks I had put mine outside and had to get a bigger feeder. Mine hangs from the top of my run and I have been adjusting how high off the ground it is as needed. If you can get the feeder off the ground there is less waste of food. Mine are 14 weeks old and I'm already half way through bag #4. The less waste the better. Good luck fellow Ohioian!
1f425.png

How I was taught....
Medicated starter till 8 weeks
Grower crumble till 18 weeks...
Grower and Layer at 50/50 till one year...Reduces the chances of feather pecking...
First egg, oyster shell in a separate dish..Granite grit all all times right from a chick...

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom