1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long should I wait before I put shipped eggs in the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Nov 3, 2011.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Tittle says it all!

Thanks Happy-Hens

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    6-12 hours

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I put them in right away if they are warm when they arrive. If they are cool I let them come to room temp. I leave the turner off the first 24-48 hours.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:Good idea!

[​IMG]

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Quote:Good idea!

[​IMG]

I agree!

6. BetsyB0101

BetsyB0101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    I have eggs coming tomorrow for my first attempt at incubating. So I have to ask... why not turn for the first 24 hours?

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. I put the eggs in on one day and turn the turner on the next day to give the eggs time to settle from their trip. You can never know how they have been handled during shipment. I have gotten shipped eggs but never shipped any. I asked a postal worker if I put fragile and this side up on the box if it would help, if I was to ship some eggs and the postal worker said it didn't really make a difference as most of the handlers don't pay much attention to that.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i was told by many people on here to let them sit for at least 12 hours but 24 was better to give the eggs time to settle from there trip. its always been said as i have read that your first attempt at hatching shouldnt be with shipped eggs as there are so many different varables in the eqution of shipped eggs...but i am confadent that my incubator is all right and i have at least 8 looking great and 3 of my own that look great to and this is my first attempt at incubating and my lockdown is sat...

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Quote:

10. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I wait at least 24 hours. I put them air-cell up in an egg carton in our "wine cellar" aka the kitchen cabinet in the north corner and let them rest. If you have to store them for a few days so you can add eggs from your own flock, gently rotate them in the carton every so often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by